Thursday 25 April 2013

Onion Soup

| | 2 comments
Posted by Nicole:

I'm back with another soup recipe! I really love soups a lot!


This french onion soup brings back so many memories. The first time I made it, I loved it so much that I almost consumed the whole pot. What happened at night? I farted a lot, and made the room stink so badly. My siblings will never forget that night. Another time, I burnt a whole pot but drank it anyway :/ And my most recent attempted was shared with a friend - there was blood and tears, but it was a beautiful and spontaneous time together. We cooked at 1am and had a warm-hearted meal at 3.

As you can tell, I've tried this recipe a couple of times (the first time was probably when I was 15), and it never fails to make me crave it again and again. There is really nothing much to say about, it is basically, delicious and buttery and relatively easy to make. However, I would admit that the preparation time and cooking time can be a little bit lengthy. For example, I probably took 30 mins to chop those onions, because my eyes were tearing so much and the caramelisation of the onions took roughly 45 mins. I will ensure you that it is totally worth - good things take time :-)

Adapted from SimpleRecipes
Ingredients:
8 Large Yellow Onions, Peeled and sliced into rings
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
2 tablespoons of Butter
1 tablespoon of Sugar
3 cloves of minced garlic
6 cups of beef/chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Optionals:

0.5-1 cup of White wine
French Baguette
Cheese (I usually mix cheddar & mozzarella)

Method:
1 In a large saucepan, sauté the garlic and onions in the olive oil and butter on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30-40 minutes (or longer). Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the caramelisation.


2
 Add the stock and wine. Cover partially and simmer for around 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Season with thyme if you want. 
3 Cover soup (ladled into individual bowls) with a baguette slice and sprinkle with cheese. Put into an oven/toaster at 200 degrees celsius until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.

Enjoy~


Nicole

2 comments:

  1. how much water should we add? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no need to add water. There is already chicken/beef stock as the liquid base. :-)

      Delete

Popular Posts

 

Share This Page
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance