Sunday 9 June 2013

Funfetti Cupcakes

| | 0 comments
Posted by Kejia:

SPRINKLES! I love sprinkles!!! When I saw this funfetti cake recipe on Sallysbakingaddiction, I KNEW I had to make them. Not only do they look ultra pretty, but they taste really good too! Almost like the best vanilla cupcake recipe that I put up on the blog in March. Even though the sprinkles don't add any difference to the taste, these wonderful cakes can be made for a fun party and to liven things up.

I need to confess.... I only had ONE batch of successful cupcakes. Why, you ask? The colour of the sprinkles bled into the cake batter and the cake batter turned grey. It was completely horrible and I was so devastated and teared a bit(okay I'm exaggerating) as I bit into the grey cupcake. No pictures of those here, because I am wayyyy too embarrassed! To avoid my terrible mistake, you need to very very gently mix in the sprinkles, then quickly transfer the batter into the cupcake liners. Another reason why I think the colour bled so easily is because of Singapore's hot weather(31ºC! Gotta be kidding me). So I would suggest that if you were to make these cupcakes, chill your cake batter in the fridge for about an hour first before adding the sprinkles. 

Another confession.... There is only one picture of the frosted cupcakes here(with the really good and my new favourite vanilla buttercream recipe) because I put the frosting on before the cupcakes cooled completely....... :-( Right after I snapped a few shots, the frosting plopped right off the cupcake, leaving a trail of melted butter. Sigh... I guess I really gotta be more careful next time. Do take note of the precautions, readers! :-) 



Recipe adapted from sallysbakingaddiction
Ingredients for cake:
1 and 2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 light brown sugar
1/2 cup(1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1/4 cup yogurt
3/4 milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup sprinkles(I used hundreds and thousands)

Directions for cake:
1. Preheat oven to 176ºC/350ºF. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners. 
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in the sugars vigorously getting out any brown sugar lumps - mixture will be gritty. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Slowly stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their colour.



3. Pour batter into prepared cupcake tins. Bake for 8-12minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. 


Ingredients for frosting:
1 cup(2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Salt, as needed

Directions for frosting:
1. Beat softened butter on medium speed. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, cream and vanilla extract with the mixer running. Increased to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if mixture is too thick. 



2. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired and top with more sprinkles!

(Badly frosted cupcakes... Right after this I tried to shift them and the frosting melted....... T_T I swear I'll get better at this!)

I wasn't really that successful at making these funfetti cupcakes but I promise I will try again and post it up here. 

On a sidenote, the vanilla buttercream frosting is REALLY good. My entire family loved it! It's not too sweet, with the perfect consistency, and it doesn't leave any gross buttery feeling in the mouth. I think it's due to the thickened cream. Do give this recipe a try and tell me how it goes! It will surely be better than this disaster of mine... Don't be scared of trying this out because of my failure! The cupcakes(despite looking grey) tasted wonderful! As I've mentioned, they could almost compare to the best vanilla cupcakes recipe I posted a few weeks back. :-)

Love,
Kejia

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 

Share This Page
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance