Tuesday 21 January 2014

Baked Eggs in Avocado and Bacon

| | 2 comments
Posted by Kejia:

Hey... Listen... (can you already sense how guilt-ridden I am???) 

I am SO SORRY for not putting up any new material in the last couple of weeks :-( University's been really tough(my first semester!) and the motivation to blog just seeped out of me. The good news is that I haven't stopped baking - I still love it with a passion and do so almost every other week. After reading a couple of food blogs, I've finally found the inspiration and motivation to do what I love most, to bake/cook and write about how amazing my food tastes (HAHA I'm kidding, I still fail quite a lot). I'm so excited(!!!) to give this platform another go with my dearest co-bloggers Claire and Nicole (read about us here!). 



Today, I present to you the glorious-but-weird-sounding baked eggs in avocado and bacon. I've recently found a love for the wonder fruit avocado. It is so creamy, rich, filling, and relatively neutral in taste. It can go with almost every kind of flavor, ranging from sweet to salty. It acts as a moistener for certain foods like pancakes or pudding, and also makes great guacamole to go with nachos or toast. What I've never heard of before is baked avocado. (After a quick google search it turns out that there are MANY baked avocado recipes... Have I been living under a rock or what!?) Looking at the title of a post by White on Rice Couple, I went - "Huh? Baked eggs WITH avocado?", "Baked avocado????" It sounded really weird to me at the start, but when I put a spoonful of that creamy avocado + runny egg yolk + partially cooked egg white + crispy and salty bacon bits into my mouth, I was in avocado heaven. And egg heaven. And bacon heaven. All at the same time. The flavours are perfect when combined, and each of them comes through so well, producing a stunning dish. What I love most about this dish is that it is SO simple as well! Just 3 main ingredients and you're good to go. This is great for ketogenic dieters (low carb, high fat) but it also proves to be a great treat for anyone. ;-) 

Delicious on its own, great on toast, I'll definitely be making this again. 

Recipe adapted from Whiteonricecouple
Ingredients:
1 avocado
1-2 slices of bacon, pan fried till just cooked
2 small eggs 
Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF/218ºC.
2. Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed. If the hole looks too small to fit an egg, use a spoon to gently scoop out a little at a time until it matches the amount of egg. 
3. With some tin foil, crumble it and make two ring shapes. Place the ring shapes onto the baking pan. Place the two halves of the avocado onto the ring shapes. The halves should be able to rest on the foil rings without tipping over. 
3. Crack the eggs into two separate bowls. 
4. Spoon an egg yolk into one half, being careful not to break the yolk. Then, using a small spoon, start spooning out the egg white a little at a time into the avo-hole till it's full. Sprinkle with bacon. Repeat for the other half.
5. Add pepper on top, and bake for about 12-15 minutes. Baking time depends on how well done you'd like your eggs to be. Keep checking on it!
6. Serve as desired (e.g. plain, on toast, with chips etc).

It really is as easy as that. You'd be surprised when you take your first bite. The great thing about this dish is that it has the ability to keep you full for the entire morning, making it a great breakfast dish. :-) Avocado lovers, do try this out and tell me how it goes!!! (You will not regret it) Have fun!

Mmmm I love a good runny yolk.

P/S. To tell if an avocado is ripe, take an avocado and hold it in the palm of your hand. It should be firm but will feel soft when your squeeze it with your palm. The colour should be dark (not green!), almost black. 

Love,
Kejia


2 comments:

  1. I didnt know you could do that with an Avocado. Definitely going to try this. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hafiz! :-) I'm so glad to hear that. It'll taste delicious I promise!!!

      Delete

Popular Posts

 

Share This Page
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance